Future Chronicles - 1998
Predictive Track Record
H. L. SIDDONS
Speculative/Predictive Track Record as of September 1998
- 1970 - The Beatles will re-unite within 20 years to do at
least one album. (Actual occurrance:1995).
- 1970 - John Lennon will die within the next 20 years of
unnatural causes (re: White Album, #9) (Actual occurrance:1981).
- 1970 - Paul McCartney will perform "When I'm 64"
on the Tonight Show in 2006.
- 1970 - Before the year 2000 we will discover evidence of
life on Mars (Actual occurrance:1997).
- 1974 - In the 1980's a space shuttle will be destroyed by a
disaster. (Actual occurrance:1986).
- 1978 - Disco will make a comeback in the 1990's as some
- 1979 - By the year 2000 many computers will be the size of
today's calculators but have the capabilities of more recent computers of the day.
- 1980 - LCD displays will all replace LED in calculators
within five years (1985) (Actual occurrance:1987)
- 1983 - AIDS will be hailed by conservative, religious ranks
as god's punishment to homosexuals and drug users. In addition many will claim the origin
of it to be a conspiracy. (Actual occurrance:1986).
- 1983 - CD or Compact Disk will within five years replace 50%
of the record market replacing vinyl LP's and eventually totally replace them (Actual
- 1985 - Microsoft Windows will become established within five
years (1990) as the preferred operating system/shell for most PC's. (Actual
- 1985 - Smoking in public will become increasingly regulated
and banned and within 20 years frowned upon spuring new establishments that cater
exlcusively to the derilect smoker.
- 1987 - CD-ROM will become a common peripheral of the PC
within five years (1992). (Actual occurrance:1994).
- 1987 - The Year 2000 problem will created a new business
opportunity for new companies and firms to make millions. (Actual occurrance:1996-2000 a 6
billion dollar industry).
- 1987 - Within ten years, a computerized database TV Guide
will be available (1997). (Actual occurrance:1996).TV Host and other online systems (GIST)
now provide this.
- 1989 - Windows will replace DOS within five years (1994).
- 1989 - PC's will replace mainframe dumb terminals within
five years (1994) as the preferred way to access and manipulate corporate data. (Actual
- 1989 - HDTV or DTV will begin to replace analog television
by the year 2000.
- 1989 - A public national wide area network of computers will
emerge within five years (mid 1990's) (Actual occurrance:1994 aka Internet).
- 1989 - The television, computer and telephone will merge
(converge) into integrated systems by the year 2000. (Actual occurrance:1996-2000).
- 1990 - The Communications Act legislation that is being
suggested that will break the barriers between the long distance, local and cable
television systems will provoke a confusing battle of company alliances, buyouts as well
as create new companies and products. (Actual occurrance:1996-2000).
- 1990 - After the year 2000, electric cars will spur a
gradual demand for new commuter/city based vehicles while leaving traditional gas
automobiles for more extensive travel purposes.
- 1990 - Apple will struggle to survive over the next ten
years but will eventually be bought out by a major computer company.
- 1992 - Aliens 4 the forth movie will bring back Ripley,
Believe it or Not (grin) within five years. (Actual occurrance:1997).
- 1994 - The World Wide Web will have profound implications in
the computer world as businesses begin to provide information and commerce. (Actual
- 1995 - FASHION: The fedora will storm the fashion industry
as the hat from the forties and fifties makes an unprecedented comeback within five
(2000-2003) to eight years.
- 1995 - AT&T will undergo a major change within five
years. (Actual occurrance:1996).1996 It split into 3 companies...
- 1995 - The Internet phone will become a threat to common
carriers (long distance) over the short term (Actual occurrance:1996)..
- 1995 - Large flat screen monitors will replace the
tube-based ones within five to eight years, the former looking rather quaint and
- 1995 - Music will be promoted and purchased via the internet
within five years (Actual occurrance:1997+).
- 1995 - Price comparative internet sites within five years.
- 1996 - Radio and television broadcasts will become
commonplace via the Internet within five years (2001)
- 1996 - The WWW/Internet will become as commonplace as the
telephone or TV within five years (2001)
- 1996 - Actor Leonardo DiCaprio will play James
Dean in a story based upon his life within next five years.
- 1996 - Actor Matthew McConaughey will play
Paul Newman in a movie based upon his life within next five years.
- 1996 - 1997 top blockbuster movies: Titanic, The Lost World,
Men In Black, Contact, Batman & Robin, Alien: Resurrection, Liar, Liar, Air
Force One (Actual occurrance:1997 The
Lost World Jurassic Park , Men in Black, Liar Liar, My
Best Friend's Wedding, Air Force One,
). Oh, and of course, Titanic
- 1997 - DVD will replace VCR and laserdisk as the preferred
movie medium once the DVDRAM becomes established within five years (2002). DVD for
computers will replace the CD-ROM common peripheral within three years (2000).
- 1997 - One the day after Princess Diana's death, many will
claim it a conspiracy (she may have faked her demise ((Actual occurrance:1997).this
- 1997 - 1998 top blockbuster movies:
Godzilla, Armageddon. Freddy verses Jason, Firestorm, Blues Brothers 2000, Combat!, Lethal Weapon 4, Life, Lost In Space, Mercury Rising, Mark of Zorro, Mission: Impossible 2, Eyes Wide Shut, My Favorite Martian, On Wings As Eagles, I Am Legend, Primary Colors, Revenge of the Mask, Species II, Star Trek IX , Superman Lives,The Wild, Wild West and X-Files, the Movie
- 1997 - 1999 top blockbuster movies:Men in Black 2, Star Wars Episode I , Avatar, Fantasia '99